TeardropTV

The teardrop trailer world has its own magazine, so why not its own TV show? Steve Hoddinott of The Teardrop Trailer in Newmarket, Ontario is rolling along with several episodes of TeardropTV and the Teardrop Garage—both featuring interviews and building tips. Steve recently interviewed me on his show and also gave me some insight into TeardropTV and his teardrop trailer building and rental business, which he runs with his wife.

 

Why did you decide to start your own TV show about teardrops?

I have seen so many unique teardrop trailers and have often wanted to ask the builders specific questions. At the same time, I also saw an opportunity to create more awareness for teardrop trailers, teardrop DIYs and teardrop events in Canada, not to mention redirect the viewer to my website if they were curious and wanted to know more about The Teardrop Trailer.

Since my involvement in teardrop trailers I have noticed a very strong sense of community and family within the teardrop trailer world. I love that about these people. They all seem to be really down to earth, and willing to share their own experiences.

TeardropTV is a platform to use as a virtual gathering of like-minded people that share the same enthusiasm. I started TeardropTv in December 2014. It's cold in Newmarket and in December nobody is interested in camping, which means no sales of trailers.

By the time I am finished with my episodes, my videos can speak on my behalf and on the behalf of others I interviewed. In the spring, when I'm outside building I’ll also be online talking to the pros about topics like resolving hurricane hinge leak issues. I also learn so much from seasoned professionals who have been building trailers for decades. We can all learn from each other.

It also makes me a better builder. There is no teardrop college to go to, but a wealth of knowledge through forums and websites. I want to harness this knowledge for newbies like me, and feed off of highly skilled, artistic, creative craftsman that don't just build a trailer, but produce a work of art for the world to see. I want to create that stage for them to show off their abilities and talents, and share with me and the rest of the world what they have learned through trial and error. I'm not the best builder out there, but I know who is, and I want to talk to every single one of them. The “Barbara Walters” of teardrop interviewers, if you will.


What do you hope to accomplish with the show and what episodes do you have planned?

I hope to learn and educate at the same time with people that share a common interest as mine. It's not just an experience but a passionate alternative way of thinking. "Go big or go home" does not apply to the teardrop traveler. "Stay small, go further" is more like it.

It's not just camping; it's a movement. I was taught at a very young age to simplify. I never fully grasped that phrase until I made my first teardrop trailer.  I want people to realize you don’t need a lot to enjoy this beautiful globe. My wife and I are not wealthy by any means, but I guarantee you we've traveled more than most of our friends and family have, and plan on more travel in the future. The teardrop trailer is our bedroom and the world is our living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, rec room and entertainment center. “Big” is all around us and “small” is where we sleep.

What episodes do I have planned? You'll have to subscribe to find out, but I’ll give you a hint. If you’re a teardrop trailer enthusiast you won’t be disappointed. If you’re a builder and have questions, we’ll get them answered, if you’re a traveler, we’ll show you amazing unknown, unadvertised and “tourist trap” free locations to explore and enjoy. It’s all about the land, not the franchise.


 Tell us a little about your own teardrop trailer rental business

It’s not a business yet, For now it’s just a hobby. I have a makeshift garage in my backyard. More like a tent, but it keeps me dry. Teardrop trailers are not as popular here in Canada, but I hope to change that soon. If I’m not using it, it’s for rent. If you’re looking for parts I’ve got them or I can get them. I have hurricane hinges 4 ft, 5 ft and 6 ft doors, etc.


Where are some of your favorite places to camp? 

Growing up we always went to French River. That’s all I knew for camping. We rented a boat, drove down the river and camped. My parents had no idea what was in Ontario, we didn’t have Internet. Same place every year. Now, my wife and I go everywhere. Anywhere along the Niagara escarpment is just amazing. You would not believe how many unknown and unmarked waterfalls you can not only go to, but swim right underneath. It’s like paradise. We also love Indian falls, Decews Falls, Morningstar Mill, Inglis Falls, Lavender Falls and Rockwood. Our first year we had the teardrop I told my wife. I have to look back at our pictures, because I can’t remember all the places we’ve been too. That’s why I now use Instagram.


Where are you dying to go camping? 

Banff and surrounding area! This spring, we’re planning a trip with my newest build and will be tweeting about it the whole way there and back. It’s Banff or bust this spring.

At one point we had considered moving to Calgary for a change of pace, but when I realized Banff was two hours away from Calgary and I would most likely have to find work in the city, I decided to stay put and explore the two hours surrounding where I lived instead. Well that distance parameter just keeps expanding when you own a teardrop trailer.


 How and when did you discover teardrop trailers? 

I was sick and tired of living in town, and wanted a change in life two years ago. We were also thinking of moving to Orillia, just north of Barrie Ontario. I thought I would buy a hot dog cart and sell hot dogs along the beach in Orillia. So before making any major plans I decided to see if there were any used hot dog trailers for sale. That’s when I saw my first teardrop trailer. It was love at first sight. I went online and discovered a world that I never knew existed. I went on eBay, purchased a full size 4 x 8 paper template of a teardrop trailer curved wall, and haven’t stopped obsessing since. At the same time my wife was watching videos and in particular really enjoyed your faircompanies video.

Since we have been teardrop camping I finally found my change of pace and never moved. We have lived at the same place for 18 years. If you want a change in life, get a teardrop trailer. Your life will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment